Promoted to motherhood

Life will never be the same again...

Friday, November 9, 2007

Gloomy Day

Today I brought Daniel for his 1st check up. The nurse poked his heel and I was surprised he didn't cry. He only started to cry when the nurse squeezed his whole foot to fill this small tube with his blood. It was horrifying to see the whole process. I actually teared to see the nurse being so rough to his tiny foot.

We waited for about 2 hours for the report to come back. His bilirubin level shot up to 14.6 (from 10.9 2 days ago) and he had to readmit to the hospital! It was devastating but Dr. Tham assured me it is perfectly normal for babies to readmit. I just have to make sure I keep pumping my milk as it apparently helps Daniel in recovering from jaundice. One good thing about this is that I don't have to eat ginger! Yay! As it will elevate the jaundice level, I was asked to put chinese herbs and ginger aside for the next 2 weeks.

The Phang clan was very gan chiong indeed. My mother-in-law has been in and out of my house a few times daily to provide all the poultry, herbs and food for the confinement lady. She's one super grandma. Father-in-law has been visiting Daniel almost every evening too. I guess Daniel has been very lovable!

Oh well, for the next few days I just have to be diligent in pumping my breastmilk and pray that his jaundice level will go down ASAP. It was very painful to see him stripped to his diapers to be treated under the UV ray. He was always groggy when they take him out of the cot. Like a sickly baby. I had to sing lively songs and play with him in order to wake him up to feed him. My poor baby... Worse still, ZX is flying to China for a last minute deal. Looks like he has to get back to his work.

The confinement lady, Ha Che came yesterday. She's a PROFESSIONAL. She can make Daniel sound asleep in the cot on his own and she's really helpful. Most of all, she's a wonderful cook. What a saviour...

1 comment:

cath k said...

hmm... how can healing be something so painful?